Monday, May 5, 2008

Be Kind To Animals Week

Margie: Edna, hold on to your bloomers because I'm going to give you a compliment. You're a mean-spirited, hateful sister but I know you love animals and would never hurt them. For that, I thank you.

Edna: I never thought I'd say this, but you're absolutely right, Margie. I do love animals, they are often kinder and more loving to us than most humans are to each other. That's why they deserve our kindness in return.


The American Humane Association created Be Kind to Animals Week in 1915 to celebrate the unique bond between humans and animals. We would like to share a few ways in which you can also be kind to animals.

Adopt your pet from a shelter or rescue. Approximately 8 to 12 million animals enter shelters every year, and more than half of these pets will have to be euthanized because of a lack of homes. Local shelters are the best place to find companion animals, even purebreds -- one out of every four dogs in a shelter is a purebred.

Teach the people in your life, especially children, about the importance of being kind to animals.


Spay or Neuter your pets -- this is a big step to controlling pet overpopulation

Never tolerate animal cruelty -- report animal abuse to your local humane society or animal control agency.

Be aware of Black Dog Syndrome and educate others. So many black dogs and cats are not adopted because of their color. Why? Go here for information.

Photobucket

7 comments:

Wendy Lopez-Redaon said...

my hubby and I love the color black. Its sad that black colored dogs are being discriminated =(

tashabud said...

This picture reminds me of our dog, Zeke, of so long ago.

http://loveandromance-tashabud.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. It is a subject close to my heart. I also have a black dog. Such a shame they are the last to be adopted.

Debby said...

We had a black scottie we rescued. He was so sweet.
Debby from SC

Margie and Edna said...

Margie: Thank you all for your comments.The dog picture used in this post is my dog Arabelle (Boo). I love black dogs.
As more people are educated about this problem I hope things will get better.
Zeke was a beauty, huh?

AmyV said...

I had two black cats who were from the same litter and people were always commenting on how striking they were because they were COMPLETELY black. Frankie had just one tiny dot of white on her chest, but the only part of Teddy that wasn't black was her yellow eyes (Frankie's were green).

They were gorgeous and loved their mommy very much. Frankie also was very bright. Teddy, not so much, but she sure did love me.

AmyV said...

And Boo is so purty. :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin