Thursday, May 15, 2008

Freedom Of Speech

Photobucket

If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind. --John Stuart Mill (1806-1873)


Edna: Margie, I think it’s safe to say that anyone who knows us (and reads our blog) understands how much we cherish our right to complain about anything and everything under the sun. But what if we didn’t have that freedom?

Margie: If we didn't have that freedom, Edna, I'd point out that I have the right to own and bear arms and shoot anybody who wants me to shut up.

Edna: Trust you to take this in a violent direction, you ninny. You know, I'm trying to make a point about how lucky we are. Turn up your hearing aid and listen. Think about all those poor people who don't have the right to say whatever they want, whenever they want. They get threatened by their own governments for speaking their minds, and that's unfair.

Do you remember that speech that FDR gave back in 1941, the "Four Freedoms" speech?

Margie: Of course it's unfair, Edna, but what can we do? It's like when you threaten me to hush up. That's not fair either.

I do remember that speech. FDR talked about freedom of speech and expression. I have some things I'd like to express to you.

Edna: Well, FDR had the right idea: he said that one of the fundamental human freedoms, for ALL humans, was the right to freedom of expression. I think he'd be sad to see that while it's true today for some people, it's not true for everyone.

As for what we can do about it? I think that we can use our freedom of speech to tell others about this and make them aware of what's going on. I know that if I lived somewhere where I couldn't express myself, I wouldn't be at all happy.

And I don't "threaten" you to "hush up." I urge you to try and make sense for once in your life. Two completely different things, sister.

Margie: FDR also said all humans should be free from fear. Nobody is free of fear if they live with you. You need to hush up and tend to your own business.

Edna: Oh honey, I surely do hope that you're not telling me what to say, because I will go ballistic on your wrinkled tushie. Try me and see.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent post! Thanks for sharing in the Human Rights campaign. Mine is up also, if you get a chance come by and check it out!

AmyV said...

Just the thought of Edna going ballistic on Margie's wrinkled tushie turned this day from a crapfest into a laughfest. As always, ladies, thank you for both making me think and making me laugh.

Margie and Edna said...

Thank you Regina. I just visited your outstanding blog post. Great job. Please visit us again.

Miss Amy, I'm not sure what to say to you. If you had to live with Edna and put up with her ballistics on a daily basis then I think you'd be singing a different tune!

If you need us to make you think then you're in big trouble. Come visit again when you can be more ladylike.

alpha99wolf said...

Margie & Edna, Outstanding post. The freedom to speak out for human rights is our God-given right and duty. If more people would speak up instead of being complacent, many things in this country would change. The mouth can sway many. They written word can sway many. We must communicate instead of just playing passive audiences. Speak out for human rights & animal rights!

Mike Riley said...

Marge & Edna-

Marvelous! I used the same FDR speech as the launching point for my post at AFTER MIDNIGHT; you took it in an unexpected and delightful direction [do check out mine, though, if you can spare the time].

Margie and Edna said...

Thank you for commenting Alpha. I'm so happy you included animal rights. Do come visit us again.

Mikeriley, we do love a gentleman caller to the basement. Thank you for dropping by. We will certainly visit your blog today.

Come back and visit again soon.

Dave Donelson said...

A fun and enlightening post. Thanks for your thoughts on human rights. As the Preamble to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights reminds us, “…recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world.”

Dave Donelson, author of Heart of Diamonds

Blog Widget by LinkWithin