Monday, March 15, 2010

The bounty of the season

Photobucket

Edna: Folks, you know what I like best about this time of year? The fresh fruits and vegetables that our neighbors are starting to get in their gardens. Mrs. Tynsdale down the lane brought over some new strawberries; my lands, those are tasty! I'm thinking of using them in a lemon strawberry parfait tonight for dessert.

What's your favorite springtime dish, Margie?

Margie: Well, I'm mad because things keep getting more expensive. I'm glad somebody brought strawberries because we sure won't be able to afford them at the store.

Springtime makes me crave simple things like my favorite fruit salad.

Edna: I think that's your body's way of telling you that you didn't get enough roughage over the winter. I will say, that recipe sounds good. Mrs. Tynsdale also brought over some fresh asparagus, what should we do with that?

Margie: I don't like getting roughed up, nitwit. I do so love asparagus. Let's make my Creamy Fettucine recipe with all the veggies in it. That makes me hungry.

Edna, we need to let all our neighbors know that we'll take all the fresh produce they want to give us. I'll ask Pastor to put that on the Prayer list too.

Edna: I think that's a fine idea, why don't you go call him? I'll get started cooking, maybe all of the vitamins and minerals from the fresh produce will sweeten your disposition.

4 comments:

RNSANE said...

Unfortunately, NONE of my neighbors grow fresh fruits or vegetables!!! I'm afraid it's the grocery for me!

Mom's Cafe Home Cooking said...

I do hope your neighbours fill your baskets with plenty of home grown produce!

PS. I left you a surprise on my blog if you would like to stop by and collect it :)

Joanne Olivieri said...

I say you send your boys out to start picking in the fields. That creamy fettuccine on you veggies has my mouth watering. Send one of the Margiedales over with a dish.

aldon @ orient lodge said...

Up here in Connecticut, we've still got a bit of time before the gardens start producing, so I'm still living off of last year's harvest.

There is a local pick your own berry farm not far from here, and last year we picked something like 8 quarts of strawberries. We made jam from some and froze others.

As a matter of fact, I was munching on some frozen strawberries from last year when I read this post.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin