Monday, March 22, 2010

Remembering The Dime Store

Photobucket

Margie: Edna, I read an article in the Sunday paper about the old dime stores. Remember those? I can just hear those wood floors creaking now. Oh, and who could ever forget the smell of that popcorn popping?

I remember you always ended up at the candy counter. You'd get a dime's worth of M&M's and you'd have enough to last you a week. I sure miss those good prices too.

Edna: At least I never fell head-first into the pickle barrel like you-know-who. I miss those good prices too, especially whenever we go down the candy aisle at the grocery store. I'll never forget all that penny candy in glass jars, all set out in rows. Every now and then I still get a hankering for a sarsaparilla-flavored candy stick.

Margie: Me too, sister. Lawsy me, remember when Daddy bought Mama that stinking Blue Waltz perfume? It smelled like skunk water but we didn't dare tell Mama.

Edna: If you hated it so much, why were you always sneaking dabs from Mama's bottle when she wasn't looking?

My favorite thing to get from the dime store were the ice cold bottles of birch beer. Remember how they used to keep them in an old washtub full of ice? Your hand would be frozen by the time you fished out your bottle, but it sure hit the spot on a dusty day.

Margie: I remember the time I shoved your face in that ice but Daddy caught me before your big mouth froze.

I need a shot of Special tea, you moron.

1 comment:

Joanne Olivieri said...

I am way too young to remember the dime store :) Though I have been to many dollar stores which tells me that we need to get the Margiedales out there working so I don't have to shop at those dollar shops.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin