Monday, October 20, 2008

Margie and Edna talk football

Photobucket

Margie: Edna, I'm sick and tired of us going to Bailey's Tavern every Saturday night and being the only non- football addicts there. We can learn a little bit about the game so we can converse intelligently with folks.

You come sit down and let's watch this game on TV. Mr. Hawkins has taught me a few things about it and we're not too old to learn more.

Edna: Margie, I'm not so sure that I want to converse with those hooligans down at Bailey's about football, they're always shouting and rough-housing. But I'll give it a try if you think it's a good idea.

Did Mr. Hawkins tell you why the ball isn't round? That has always stumped me.

Margie: Edna, Mr. Hawkins is a smart man. He said the ball is shaped like that because it will fly through the air like a missile. I must say, though, that I don't understand why that young man who throws the ball is called a quarterback.

Edna, how does he play with a bad back like that?

Edna: Margie, they probably don't literally mean a quarter of a back, but it beats me what that name really means. This whole game is a mystery to me, I tell you what. I don't understand why they keep knocking each other over like that, it's very rude.

But to tell you the truth, what I really want to know is why they call that one player a "tight end". They all look like tight ends in those tight pants, that's for sure.

Margie: Edna, I see your point. Why don't we forget learning about football and study these tight ends in more detail? You get the special tea and I'll make popcorn!

Edna: It's a deal, sister.


*photo courtesy NYPL Digital Gallery

2 comments:

Jackie said...

oh my you two better be careful. Have we heard the end to this adventure?

I hope you survive!:-)

Karen and Gerard said...

I enjoyed this post, very comical! I just don't get all the penalty calls. It seems like there are so many, and the funniest one to me is "illegal contact." It seems like there must be only certain times they can touch the opponent, but I'm not sure at all what they are!

When the Browns play, it seems like the refs make up all sorts of penalties as the go along . . . neutral zone, false start (a lot of those), illegal formation, etc.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin