Monday, February 1, 2010

The Good Deed

Photobucket

Edna: Margie, your prune juice story got me to thinking about something nice I saw happen at the grocery store recently. And it wasn't some old hag flirting with a young man, that's for sure!

Margie: Do tell, Edna. Old hags shouldn't flirt with anybody if you ask me.

Edna: Oh, good Lord folks, there goes her selective memory again. Anyway Margie, you remember how you and I have lamented over the state of people's manners these days?

Margie: I surely do remember. Just the other day a lady almost knocked me down trying to get in line ahead of me.

Edna: Good grief, how many times do I have to apologize for that, you harpy?

Now, let me tell you, I saw a young man do a good deed and it just plumb warmed my heart. I had Cousin T take me up to the Save-a-Lot grocery the other day. For our readers who don't know, you have to bag your own groceries there, which I surely don't mind doing since it's so economical at that store. I don't have any problems bending down into the cart to get my groceries out to bag them. But this older lady was there practically bent in half with arthritis, just struggling with getting her canned goods out of the cart, bless her heart. So what do you think happened but this nice young man saw her trouble and helped her bag up all her food and then offered to take her bags out to her car, all without being asked. He even stopped his own bagging to help her out. My lands, I guess there's hope for young folks today after all!

Margie: There's always hope, Edna. Well, not in your case.


4 comments:

RNSANE said...

Ladies, ladies, ladies...I know you didn't mean that, Margie, dear. You missed Edna while she was away, I know you did! Those wild parties were to you after awhile.

BK said...

It is certainly heart-warming to read about what you saw at Save-a-Lot. Indeed, there is hope.

Joanne Olivieri said...

There should be more men like that in the world. I hope you used that story as a tutorial for my Margiedales. Which reminds me, make sure to visit my poetry blog Wednesday. Carmen is caught in the act :)

RNSANE said...

My post early this morning didn't make much sense...I meant tht those wild parties got to you, Margie, after awhile...might have been the brandy I was drinking.

Good grief, I don't know what act Poetic could have caught me in...I've been a pure saint and the only time we were together in eons was in Culver City. I don't think I had an "episode" - or did I?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin