Thursday, April 2, 2009

Old Timey Radio

Photobucket
Image courtesy the Duke University Libraries Digital Collections

Margie: Edna, these rainy days sure do bring back sweet memories. Do you remember how we'd all gather here in the parlor and listen to the radio? My word, Mama and Daddy did love to laugh.

We'd listen to Benny Goodman and Baby Snooks and, my favorite, Western Theater. Mama would pop corn and we'd have her homemade lemonade. Life sure was simple then. What do you recall, Edna?

Edna: I recall that you would pinch me while the shows were on so that I'd cry and Mama would send me upstairs for making a fuss while the radio was on. I swan, you were hateful even then.

Do you remember how much Daddy loved to listen to Fibber McGee and Molly? Whooee, when he got to laughing, the neighbors said you could hear him a block away!

Margie: You were such a big baby, Edna. You belonged upstairs.

Yes, Daddy did get carried away about Fibber. You know what, Edna? Let's send our friends here so they can hear some of these old shows for themselves. Maybe you can even catch the ones you missed.

Edna: Okay, but just you stay away from me with those devil's claws of yours. If you pinch me this time while I'm listening to the radio, I'll pinch you back, you got it?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My granny and pappy had one of those, and I will never for get that radio.

Have a nice weekend.

Jodi

Michele said...

That ad reminds me of my grandma's bathroom wallpaper. Sounds crazy but it does. =)

http://amothersdevotion.blogspot.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin