Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Mama and Daddy and Atlantic City

Edna: My lands, Margie, come see what I found! I was looking through a box up in the attic and I ran across this letter from Mama and Daddy when they went to Atlantic City. Do you remember that?

Margie: I remember you being scared that they'd come back home and find out you hadn't been an angel. I was always good and they brought me salt water taffy.

Edna: It's been so long, I guess I can't expect you to remember everything perfectly, you lying liar. You know, Mama told us later that they took that trip because they couldn't take a honeymoon when they first got married and Daddy promised her a big trip later. It sure sounds like they had fun.

Here, listen to the letter:

April 12, 1927

Dear Girls,

Hello from Atlantic City! Your Daddy and I are having a marvelous time here, but we surely do miss the two of you. Daddy's told everyone here what angels you are, and I certainly hope you're behaving like angels for your Aunt Biddy. You just remember her nerves and mind your manners for her until we get home.

Daddy and I are having such fun, we drank lemonade on the beach yesterday. We're staying at a grand hotel called the Traymore, and tonight we're going to the Steel Pier. You won't see the likes of this place anywhere near Jericho, Kansas!

We'll be home soon, girls!

Love, Mama and Daddy

Edna: Gosh, I remember Mama giving me the kewpie doll they brought back from the boardwalk. You had one too, but you broke yours. I was just little, but I remember Aunt Biddy yelling at you for running up and down the stairs.

Look, there was a picture with the letter:

Photobucket

Margie: Edna, you sure have a terrible memory. I didn't break my doll, hussy, you threw it on the floor and told Aunt Biddy I did it.

I miss our folks, Edna. I sure hope they're together now in that big hotel in the clouds. I'll see them again one day but I know who won't!

++++++++++++++

Photo courtesy of the Duke University Digital Collections.

To learn more about the Atlantic City Steel Pier, go here.

Go here to learn more about the historic Traymore Hotel.

4 comments:

gLoR!e said...

mmmm...i'm touch that you still have the stuff all the good memories from your parents.I can see the pictures and relate to it..:)

Meghann said...

Goodness, I think it is wonderful you have such great links to the past, and the photo! wonderful! I wish I had things like that from my family - I got to meet my great-great-grandfather (he lived until I was 6), and I wish I had more than 1 photo to remember him by.
Have a great day!

Daisy said...

Oh what a nice classic photo! 8)

Btw, accepted your ec add now!

XoXoX

Pblacksaw said...

I am giving you the kreative blogger award please visit my sight to get it and to read the rules. thanks
Patsy

Blog Widget by LinkWithin