Margie: Friends, it's February again so I know all our thoughts are on love, Valentine's Day, and chocolate, but it's also American Heart Month. Did you know that cardiovascular disease is still the No. 1 killer of men and women, killing about 800,000 Americans each year?
Did you also know that up to 80% of cardiovascular disease may actually be PREVENTABLE through healthy lifestyle choices?
The American Heart Association recommends:
- Healthy eating: Low salt (1500 mg/day), low fat, 3-5 cups vegetables a day (Is chocolate a vegetable)?
- Exercise 30 minutes a day (I go to the bathroom at least that much every day).
- Healthy body mass index (Is that a couch potato?)
- Control blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose (I try but Edna makes my blood pressure go up quite often).
- Go smoke-free (I do except in winter when we have to build a fire).
- Listen to your body! If you feel something is not right, get it checked out. (My body talks to me every day. It says, " Snap, crackle,pop.")