Friday, September 25, 2009

Edna's Fun Friday: Child Singers

Edna: When I was just a little girl, Daddy took Margie and I to the picture show, which was something we did pretty often of a Saturday afternoon. But one Saturday was special, it was the day I saw Baby Rose Marie singing her heart out on screen in a film short before the main feature. And oh, a dream was born! How I begged Mama and Daddy to let me go straight to Hollywood to be a child singer, just like Baby Rose Marie. The fact that I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket didn't mean anything to me, I just saw a little girl up on screen who looked just like me, and I wanted to do it too.

Many years later, I was delighted to find a grown-up Rose Marie starring in one of my favorite TV shows of all time, The Dick Van Dyke Show. Rose Marie is still alive today, bless her heart. I wonder if she can still belt out the tunes?

Baby Rose Marie singing "You're Gonna Lose Your Gal" (1934)



Video clip courtesy of GoodOldDays

1 comment:

Karen said...

Wow! I had no idea she could sing like that and at such an early age. Very nice.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin