Friday, September 26, 2008

Johnny Appleseed

Edna: Margie, I was at the grocery store today buying a jar of applesauce, and a woman in line told me that today is Johnny Appleseed's birthday. Is that true?

Margie: Edna, you mean applesauce has seeds? Johnny Appleseed? Didn't he live next door one time?

Apples sure do cost too much these days, Edna.

Edna: Please turn up your hearing aid and try to focus on what I'm saying to you, Margie. I'm asking you about Johnny Appleseed, the folk hero who planted apple trees all over the Midwest in the 1800's. My lands, what were you doing in the library all those years you worked there? I don't think you were reading the books.

Margie: Edna, you mumble then fuss when I don't hear you. Put your teeth in when you talk to me.

I remember Johnny Appleseed. I read stories about him. Daddy once talked about having an orchard too. You know Mama sure could bake an apple pie!

Edna: I pulled out our old book about folk stories, and here he is. This says that he didn't just wander around tossing apple seeds everywhere, he actually planted nurseries in many areas of Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. I always thought he did it out of the kindness of his heart, but this says that he sold those trees to the settlers, making him an early and savvy businessman.

He was also credited for introducing cider to many people on the frontier. My lands, would you look at this picture of him? He looks like a bum!

Photobucket

Margie: He's scary looking. My word, Edna, no wonder people were willing to pay him.

You've made me want some cider. I do love it when October comes around. Actually, Edna, why don't we get Cousin T to plant an orchard for us? Wouldn't hot cider be lovely during the cold weather?

Edna: That's a fine idea, but I wonder if it's too late in the season here to plant apple trees? We could ask Cousin T and see what he thinks; maybe he'll be enticed by the idea of cider and apple pie. I know we've got Mama's recipe here somewhere.

2 comments:

terocious said...

As a feller readin' y'alls blog here is what I noticed:

Cute Guys and Creampuffs draw loads of comments.

Bummy guys known for planting healthy snacks do not.

-Cousin T

Margie and Edna said...

Edna: You know Cousin T, I see that as a sad commentary on today's society, don't you? ;)

Thank you for the feller's point of view, we surely do appreciate it. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin