Monday, November 9, 2009

Mud Pies

Margie: Edna, I was just reading about how children are so obese these days. Folks talk about diets and eating healthy and I'd like to shake them because there's a simple solution.

In our day we ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar. And, we weren't overweight. Why?

Because we were always outside playing...that's why!

Edna: That's certainly true. We didn't have Gameboys, iPods and Playstations to keep us busy and sedentary inside the house. Besides, if we'd tried to stay in the house all day, Mama would have given us a swat for being underfoot and sent us right outside.

But you know, those were also safer times, too. We could play by ourselves all over the neighborhood, and Mama and Daddy never had to worry about someone snatching us away or doing awful things to us. Times have certainly changed, sister.

Margie: You are so right. We could even walk to the store by ourselves. Nobody had a cell phone or computer so we had to walk to see our friends.

Edna, I think what's saddest of all is that kids today don't make mud pies.

Edna: You're right, that is pretty sad. Although I suppose that means that their sisters have never made them EAT a mud pie, either.

Photobucket

5 comments:

Karen said...

Oh no! My sister paid me quarters to do the dishes when it was her turn. Now that I think about it, 25 cents was pretty cheap. I should send her a bill!

Thena said...

Ya'll are so right. I told my kids this year for Christmas, no electronics. My step-son whines when he's here that he has no friends here. I finally told him well get outside and find some, their not going to come to you. You would have thought I told him to go to the moon. Stop playing xbox and go outside. Not him.

Joanne Olivieri said...

So true girls. We played outside all the time. We didn't have the distractions of computers and computer games. Koolaid, mudpies and flicks, remember those? Those were the days.

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

I have to agree, kids these days don't go outdoors all as much as when I was young. They're perpetually in front of the computers or TV or playing this electronic game that they forget how wonderful the outdoors can be ...

Dropped by from EC by the way.

BK said...

I absolutely agree with you. We have to re-invent our foods to pack in all the nutrients we need and then to realize the foods that we have re-invented weren't all that healthy after all.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin