Image Courtesy the NYPL Digital Gallery
Margie: I know a lot about gentlemen and I'm here to tell you what to look for if you want a real man.
1. A gentleman has honor. He is honest and his word is his bond. He doesn't lie, cheat, or steal and he's certainly not a criminal.
2. A gentleman has self control. He isn't abusive and he doesn't fly off the handle at the drop of a hat. He doesn't drink to excess or partake of any other vices.
3. A gentleman is kind, mannerly, and compassionate. He has a good upbringing and respects all humans and creatures. He never raises his voice and is comfortable in any situation.
4. A gentleman is chivalrous. He treats everyone with respect. He holds the door for a lady, never walks ahead of her, and is concerned for her feelings. If he says she's the only one for him then he means it.
5. A gentleman has a delightful sense of humor. He does not, however, tell vulgar jokes especially in mixed company. He laughs with you and not at you.
Edna, do you have anything to add? I doubt you've ever known a gentleman.
Edna: Margie, I suppose you're right. Folks, she's known more gentlemen than I have, so I suppose you'd best listen to her.