Tuesday, December 16, 2008

It's Fruitcake Time



Photobucket


Margie: Folks, it's that time of the year again. You know what I mean. Yes, time to give those fruitcakes as gifts. Trust me when I say nobody wants them. Do yourself a favor and waste your money on something else.

People sure have made fun of poor old fruitcakes over the years. You know what I do like about fruitcake? If it wasn't for the fruitcake then we wouldn't have that old saying about somebody being "as nutty as a fruitcake."

Hey Edna, what do you think about fruitcake?


Edna: Oh Margie, you left yourself wide open on that one, but I'm going to take the high road and behave with some dignity. I must say, I'm not a big fan of fruitcake. But it is indeed a time-honored holiday tradition. You know, Mama had a recipe for fruitcake, it was for the kind that got soaked in rum for a month. Whoo boy, that would sure brighten up your holidays!


Margie: Get off your high horse, Edna. You left your dignity in San Francisco. Didn't think I knew about that did you ?

I could use some brightening up so I might just make Mama's fruitcake. It ought to be ready by New Year's Eve for my party.


Edna: You'd better serve that thing with black coffee and designate some drivers, because just one slice will make you see pink elephants.


Margie: Are we going to the circus? I love elephants, Edna.


Edna: Save some of that rum for the fruitcake, Margie.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't like fruitcake but now i'm learning to like it, maybe because of the tradition :p

terocious said...

All I have to say is someone must like Anchovies and Fruitcakes or why else would they be around for so long?

-Cousin T.

Contrariwise said...

Is it that time of the year again? I guess I better dust off last year's fruit cake and try to pass it off again.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I've been rather fond of that produced by the Collin Street Bakery of Corsicana, Texas--and have for several years now.

Known as "the Original DeLuxe," I consider it something of a legend among fruitcakes. The sort as actually gets eaten for once.

Debby said...

Cousin T I must be that someone because I like both.
Debby from SC

angelinabeadalina said...

Spiked fruitcake! Yes! Definitely improves the flavor. Save some of that rum for a rum cake, too. Talk about delicious.

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Edna: "Oh Margie, you left yourself wide open on that one, but I'm going to take the high road and behave with some dignity." I thought the same thing, although I'm beginning to wonder after reading Edna's comments, is there a "coming out" party in the works soon?

docemdy said...

I don't like fruitcake but my Dad loves it. we usually receive one or two during the holidays. We haven't received one this year though.

Anonymous said...

I just ran across some fruitcake at the local grocery store, and I can't believe that stuff is still around. These days you only give fruitcake to your enemies.

Anonymous said...

I love fruitcake. And it lasts forever, which is a good think, 'cause now my friends regift theirs to me.

Anonymous said...

I think fruitcake is good! In fact, I even put it on my "Christmas list" as something my husband can get for me. I know, I'm a strange one!

Anonymous said...

Ladies, y'all haven't lived until you've tasted my grandmother's whiskey cake.

It's so soaked in liquor that the taste is rather incidental...

P.L. Frederick said...

I lovvvvvve fruitcake. Especially the cakes made with dried fruit, not dyed fruit. Or died fruit.

Fruitcake: it's baked nuts, sweet fruits, and bread, soaked in RUM for months. Good heavens people, what's not to like?

P.L. Frederick (Small & Big)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin